Sunday, 6 June 2010

Life as a Toddler

Oh my word, Justin is no longer a baby, he is now a toddler! Where has the time flown to? On Tuesday I took Justin to our GP for his 12 month immunizations, what a champ! Due to us moving countries 3 times during Justin's first year, we've had to follow 3 countries' immunization programs and somewhere along the line, he's missed a few. On Tuesday he got his MMR and Meningococcal C, one in each thigh. He only shed a couple of tears and shouted out as the liquid entered his body but as soon as he recovered, the doctor jabbed him in his other thigh. Two minutes later, he was all smiles, walking around the doctor's office, opening and closing her cupboards. Even I'm getting better at this, guess I have no choice now that Row's working, I can even watch the doctor prick the needle into Justin's thigh. Poor boytjie, needs to go back next week for another 2 which he missed somewhere,  hopping from country to country. The good news is that his next immunization is at 18months and then only at 4 years old. On Thursday I took Justin to the Early Childhood Centre to check his weight, height and head circumference. This is a free service run by the government and the nurse is there to answer any questions from breastfeeding, to sleep, to eating, to play, etc. Justin is weighing in at 10kgs and is 77cm long with a head circumference of 46cm. He's all healthy and growing well.

As you can all see, Justin has started walking. But along with this major milestone, he's reached other ones which might seem not as important. We seemed to have taken it for granted and it feels like it just crept up on us but now that I sit back and think about it, it's like wow, this little boy sure has learnt some new tricks. For example, where did he learn to cling to us like a koala bear when he doesn't want to be put down? Or to close his legs around your waist and push himself up, like he's climbing up a tree, to reach something higher? Or to arch his back and push himself onto his legs and stand up when he doesn't want to sit in his pram or car seat or high chair? Justin's also following commands now; like at bath time, when I undress him, I say "shoes off" and I take his shoes off, then I say "socks off" and he pulls off his socks, "hands up" to take his t-shirts off and he puts his hands up. At the end of his bath, I ask him to pull out the plug. For his birthday, a friend gave Justin a pop-up book of the "Wheels of the bus" and he loves it, so when I sing the song, he goes and looks for the book and brings it to me so we can read/sing it together. He also knows where we hide his dummy so when he's getting tired and grumpy and clingy, he wants to be held and then he steers you to the cupboard so he can open it and grab his dummy off the shelf. Justin is also getting better at feeding himself, still a lot of hit and miss but we're getting there. And he's now drinking from a straw!

Justin still loves his music! We play "I gotta feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas and he'll start bopping up and down and even puts his hands up. The teachers at daycare even remark how much Justin loves music, always playing with the musical instruments and grooving to the tunes. He's also very vocal now; he can say "ma", "mum-mum", "ta" and "dada". 
I'll end off this post now or people will think I'm bragging about my son ;) and also I could write on and on about Justin but I started this post this morning and it's now 12:35am....so till the next post....good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment