Sunday, 22 February 2015

Big School

Justin started kindergarten at the end of January and he was so excited. The first day of big school was anticipated with lots of questions and excitement about wearing a uniform and carrying a school bag and taking lunch to school. 

On the morning of this momentous occasion, Justin ate breakfast with no reference to time, in other words, eating slowly and taking his time. Once breakfast was out the way, he went to change into his uniform and got ready for his big day. He seemed excited and yet as the morning progressed, he seemed to grow more anxious especially about being late. Finally ready, school bag on the back, hat on his head, photos out the way, Row, Zach and I walked Justin to school. I think we were all nervous but excited. We took Justin to his class, we were introduced to his teachers, shown where he would be sitting, more photos and then it was time to say good bye. Surprisingly there were no tears from neither Justin nor I. I guess for myself, it was just such a proud moment for me that I just felt so happy for my boy, seeing how he's grown and become independent, that it wasn't necessary to shed any tears (even if they were happy tears). The day seemed to whizz by and before I knew it, it was time to collect Justin from school. His smile was enough to assure me that he had had a fantastic  first day, enjoyed the whole experience, liked his teachers and met some new kids and met up with old friends. 

One month in and I'm happy to say that Justin is still enjoying school. He's made friends with a group of boys, there seem to be about 4 of them in their little gang. The cool game to play at break time seems to be hand ball. He's especially excited about sports day because they are doing karate this term and after every sports day, he shows me the new karate moves he learnt. He started getting homework this week and it was painful, not sure who found it more painful though, but I'm sure as he gets use to this foreign concept and we work out a routine and method, it will get easier. 







No comments:

Post a Comment