Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Happy Australia Day!

Australia Day is the national day of Australia and is celebrated on the 26 January as it marks the arrival of the first fleet of British ships (I had to look that up! Hopefully I shall be more knowledgeable about the history of Australia before I write my citizenship test, now that we are finally eligible!) 

In true Aussie spirit, we had a barbie at a friend's house and really threw some shrimp on the barbie. But as Australia is such a diverse country, it was only fair to add some boerewors to represent the Saffas, who outnumbered the Aussies anyway. Lucky our hosts were very gracious and allowed us to braai some wors right next to skippy and the shrimp. Other dishes that represented authentic Aussie food (which I didn't really know) was a beetroot salad and lamingtons. Some not so Aussie dishes were rusks, lemon meringue, apple pie and a hummingbird cake. The food was so good and we really ate a lot. The afternoon was filled with laughter, jokes and coldies (beer), all amongst good friends. Our kids were running wild having heaps of fun with each other, enjoying the Aussie sunshine!






No comments:

Post a Comment