One of the more challenging tasks of moving to a new city or country is finding good restaurants and building up a list of favourite places to eat and recommending it to friends and visitors.
In South Africa we knew where to go for good steak (The Grillhouse or Wombles), good spare ribs (Black Steer), toasted chicken mayonnaise (Burger Box). In Hong Kong we also had a list of favourites; yum cha at Maxim's, Vietnamese at Nha Trang, risotto balls at Enoteca. But there was also the problem of restaurants disappearing over night.
Since moving to Sydney, we have eaten out alot but because there is so much choice and variety, we have hardly been back to a restaurant for a second of third time. We know to go to the Belgian Beer Cafe for mussels, or Hurricane's for steak and spare ribs and we have one or two ideas for yum cha. Over the last few weekends, I've had the chance to go to several different restaurants while Row has babysat Justin as he's busy studying. I've sampled some good Portuguese food although it will never be as good as home but it was pretty good and worthy of a second visit (with Row). I also went for Sichuan hot pot which was quite tasty. Yesterday I went to Bourke Street Bakery which always has a queue of people waiting to sample their delicious baked goods...and it didn't disappoint! I had a flourless chocolate cake (delish), Louise had a creme brulee tart (yumm!!!) and Bg had a carrot cake which I didn't have the chance to sample. Today Bg took us to The Counter where you can order a burger to your exact taste with whatever combination you like beiing offered from the different choices of meats, toppings, cheeses, sauces and buns.....delicious! And for those milkshake lovers....try the peanut butter milkshake or the strawberry milkshake. I don't normally like strawberry milkshakes but this one was good. Louise's recommendation is the apple pie milkshake which I will have to sample on our next visit there. I had good intentions of taking photos of the food that I've been eating but when the food arrives, all those good intentions just take leave.
So if you're planning on visiting Sydney, we're slowly building up a list of recommendations for you food lovers!
mmmm don't know about the peanut butter milkshake but the rest sounds good!
ReplyDelete